Eight months on, Equifax is still notifying those affected

equifaxEquifax has come under fire yet again after it has been revealed that some of the 15 million Britons who were affected by last September’s hack attack are only now receiving letters notifying them that their personal data was compromised, some eight months later.
The firm, which suffered what some believe is the biggest – and most expensive – data breach in history,  initially claimed the reason for its slow response was that it could not find customers’ contact details.
In October, last year it insisted it was embarking on a four-phase approach to informing customers “so that we can promptly and effectively answer phone calls from impacted consumers”. The firm claimed that it would complete the notification process by November 24 2017.
However, according to a report on the Register website, letters are still being despatched. The letter in question was dated April 16.
Last month, Equifax hired private equity firm Warburg Pincus’ managing director Mark Begor to lead the company, following the “retirement” of CEO Richard Smith in the wake of the scandal, which affected up to 185 million accounts in the US, Canada and the UK.
At the time, he said: “I will prioritise continuing our team’s efforts to communicate transparently and restore confidence with consumers, customers, shareholders, and policymakers. And most critically, we will continue to invest in and strengthen our IT and data security. As a custodian of consumer and customer information, protecting that data is a central priority for Equifax and for me personally.”

Related stories
Equifax hires new chief exec from private equity giant
Equifax could face final bill of $600m for data breach
Former Equifax tech chief charged with insider trading
Equifax can’t find addresses for 14 million customers
FCA launches investigation into Equifax breach farce
The farce continues: Equifax now says 694,000 Brits hit
Equifax chief ‘misled Congress over mass data breach’
Equifax: Oops we’ve found another 2.5m stolen records
Equifax CEO is ‘retired’ as company reels from breach
Equifax blunders on after sending users to fake website
Equifax admits that 400,000 Brits hit by US breach
Flaw on Equifax system was exposed over 6 months ago

Print Friendly

To leave a comment please register – it takes less than a minute and is free of charge. You will also get our weekly email update The DM Report (to opt out contact subscriptions@decisionmarketing.co.uk). If you are an existing user, please log in. If you have forgotten your log-in details please email info@decisionmarketing.co.uk to get them reset!

Existing Users Log In
 Remember Me  
New User Registration
*Required field