Celebrities and public figures hoping to use the recent “right to be forgotten” ruling to wipe the slate clean on embarrassing press coverage could be in for a nasty shock.
According to Google insiders, the company will turn down such requests because it does not believe the European Court of Justice ruling covers public figures who want to have potentially damaging material removed.
Google has already had 50,000 requests to remove search results and started to take-downs late last week.
Searches for people’s names now include a message at the bottom of the results page that says results “may have been removed under data protection law in Europe”, although this does not mean the person has requested links be deleted.
Complaints over Google’s interpretation of the court ruling could be taken to the Information Commissioner’s Office, although the regulator has already stated it could be “some months” before guidance is issued.
Larry Cohen, a London-cased partner at the legal firm Latham & Watkins, told The Sunday Times: “The ruling makes clear that public figures have a lower expectation of privacy. This judgment will help certain people, but not when it concerns public figures or people in whom there is a genuine public interest.”
Google sets up take-down service
First Google deletions ‘months off’
Google awaits data deletion deluge
EU court ruling ‘opens can of worms’
EU chief: ‘Hit Google where it hurts’
Doomsday looms as MEPs get tough
UK to ‘fight to death’ over EU laws
Third of firms unprepared for EU laws
EU chief rejects ‘right to be forgotten’
Vaizey: EU plans ‘unenforceable’
Govt slams ‘right to be forgotten’
To leave a comment please register – it takes less than a minute and is free of charge. You will also get our weekly email update The DM Report (to opt out contact firstname.lastname@example.org). If you are an existing user, please log in. If you have forgotten your log-in details please email email@example.com to get them reset!