A company owned by Nev Wilshire, the controversial star of BBC Three’s The Call Centre, has been fined £500,000 after being found guilty of a single breach of the Health & Safety at Work Act, which led to a pensioner’s death.
Manchester Crown Court heard how workers from HIS Energy blocked the flue on Joyce Moore’s gas boiler, and even though one noticed what had happened, he failed to switch off the boiler or warn about her the consequences.
Later that day in October 2012, the 83-year-old grandmother from Middleton, Greater Manchester, died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) brought the prosecution against HIS Energy, which has since been put into liquidation.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Lisa Bailey told the BBC: “The company knew about the risks from its work but its safety standards fell well below the legal minimum. As a result, an elderly woman has lost her life.”
It is not the first time Wilshire’s businesses have had run-ins with the authorities. In June 2013, two of his firms – Nationwide Energy Services and We Claim You Gain – were fined a total of £225,000 by the Information Commissioner’s Office for making nuisance marketing calls.
Both companies, part of the now defunct Save Britain Money Ltd based in Swansea, were run by Wilshire.
To leave a comment please register – it takes less than a minute and is free of charge. You will also get our weekly email update The DM Report (to opt out contact email@example.com). If you are an existing user, please log in. If you have forgotten your log-in details please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get them reset!