Nev firm fined £500k for gran’s death

Wilshire fined 500k for gran's deathA company owned by Nev Wilshire, the controversial star of BBC Three’s The Call Centre, has been fined £500,000 after being found guilty of a single breach of the Health & Safety at Work Act, which led to a pensioner’s death.
Manchester Crown Court heard how workers from HIS Energy blocked the flue on Joyce Moore’s gas boiler, and even though one noticed what had happened, he failed to switch off the boiler or warn about her the consequences.
Later that day in October 2012, the 83-year-old grandmother from Middleton, Greater Manchester, died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) brought the prosecution against HIS Energy, which has since been put into liquidation.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Lisa Bailey told the BBC: “The company knew about the risks from its work but its safety standards fell well below the legal minimum. As a result, an elderly woman has lost her life.”
It is not the first time Wilshire’s businesses have had run-ins with the authorities. In June 2013, two of his firms – Nationwide Energy Services and We Claim You Gain – were fined a total of £225,000 by the Information Commissioner’s Office for making nuisance marketing calls.
Both companies, part of the now defunct Save Britain Money Ltd based in Swansea, were run by Wilshire.

Related stories
Call Centre Nev faces court threat
Nev blasted over redundancy delay
Call Centre Nev closes down firm
Call Centre Nev in hot water again
TV’s Call Centre boss gets £225k fine

Print Friendly

To leave a comment please register – it takes less than a minute and is free of charge. You will also get our weekly email update The DM Report (to opt out contact subscriptions@decisionmarketing.co.uk). If you are an existing user, please log in. If you have forgotten your log-in details please email info@decisionmarketing.co.uk to get them reset!

Existing Users Log In
 Remember Me  
New User Registration
*Required field